Find of the Week

The Bins yield odd treasure. This time it was a late-50s vintage McGraw Electric Co. Toastmaster model 1C5. I couldn’t turn it down for three bucks.

Three slots for toast seemed a little bit odd, and I found out this model is actually kinda rare. Apparently they made three slot toasters for a brief period to cash in on the popularity of the club sandwich. Who knew?

This one didn’t seem to have been used much, but I still took it apart and cleaned it up. The bottom door was held closed with a few pieces of electric tape but it just needed to be adjusted a little bit to catch the latch.

The automatic release mechanism is way more complex that I would have assumed. Was also interested to find that the heating elements are woven around some kind of fibrous board of some sort. Hopefully nothing now known to be toxic…

Some links I found while researching it:
Garage Sale Finds – Odd Man Out
Toaster.org collection featuring the same model with black trim
Fluff article about a toaster collector, mentioning their unusual three slot toaster

Castelli DSC 106 tear down

The upholstery on the Castelli DSC 106 I bought was torn, and rather discolored from damp storage, not worth trying to salvage. I decided to pull it all off and see what the plywood underneath looked like.

First step was to take out the screws, and knock the frame apart. Surprisingly easy, only took a couple whacks with a rubber mallet and it came right apart.

The seat and back fit into notches in the cast frame pieces.

The vinyl covering was stapled into place with what look to be brass plated steel staples.

The back cover is odd. It has a zipper for one of the seams.

The wood underneath was not perfect, but it’s not bad for plywood. The back has a few cracks in the top layer of plywood, and marring from the production process. I’m going to sand things a bit, mostly to get rid of splinters on the edges, and varnish it. Should look pretty decent at the end, if a little bit richer in character than the ones originally produced with a wood finish.

The rest of the pictures I took of the tear down process are in the gallery below. Lots of detail shots of the upholstery seams and fasteners, so I can get as close to original as possible if I decide I want to put a new cover on in the future.