1970s.jpg

Zenith Avanti console television with Space Command ultrasonic remote, Gemini Colorgem VHF/UHF rabbit ears antenna, Atari Pong console. May not get the channels you want, but has all the woodgrain you can handle.

I got the TV gratis from a guy doing some spring cleaning in a super rad dome house out in SW Portland. I think it was probably a period fixture from around when the place was built, along with the the electric blue shag carpet in the room it came out of. Was almost sad to be taking it out of its natural habitat.

Clockwork part II

Got around to finishing up the conversion of the Simplex secondary clock. Wasn’t much to do besides grind down the shaft for the minute hand, install it, and seal things back up.

Kinda interesting how the concave glass cover is retained. There’s a really long spring wound around a piece of wire, with one spot where the spring is cut and bent outward to provide a place to hook it. To remove the glass, you loop something through there and pull, and it’ll pop right out. To reinstall, you seat the spring along the edge and just shove it in there.

Clockwork

Way back when I frequented municipal surplus auctions with my dad. Among the many lots we picked up over the years were several pallets of fixtures and equipment from one of Anchorage’s high schools, removed during repairs performed following a fire and subsequent remodel.

There’s still a bit of it squirreled away, mostly mid-century relics dating to the school’s original construction. Among those, there’s several boxes of old Simplex slave clocks. These things all ran off a pulse sent out periodically from a master console. Pretty cool looking, but also not very useful on their own.

I’m converting one of the nicer examples out of the stash to use a movement out of an old General Electric 2131 kitchen wall clock. The GE unit was from the 70s, old enough to have a nice smooth-second-hand movement but new enough to have a hideous cheap plastic case with a supremely tacky design. So, I took its heart for the cause…

The movement went on pretty easy, just had to drill a few holes.

The hands were a little more complicated. The GE movement fit almost flush to the face in its original application, but the Simplex case is designed for a recessed movement with the shafts extended much further.

The hour hand had enough of an offset to work with, so I soldered the press fit base of the GE hour hand onto the end of the Simplex hand’s shaft and put it into place.

The minute hand didn’t have an extension fitted to it, so I improvised a bit. I pressed the core of a butt splice connector into the hole in the hand and soldered it into place, then soldered the press fit base onto the other end. I still need to grind down the press fit part a bit so that it’ll clear the middle of the hour hand and fit into place.

Was too late to break out the Dremel and grind it down tonight, so part 2 and final assembly will have to wait ’til later.